Tuesday 18 February 2014

Advantages of using the iPad and the BYOD policy in the flipped classroom


started using the iPad in my flipped lessons five years ago. Apart from the immediate benefit of engaging students, the iPad has improved education efficiency and standards. Among other things, I now have a paperless classroom, share interactive presentations and test my students—all on my iPad.

The following are some of the benefits of using this device:

1.  ENGAGE THE DISENGAGED
The iPad is most effective in prompting my most disconnected students to interact in the classroom and have fun while learning. For example, I use the Creative Book Builder app to write my own textbooks  and the iBooks app to engage students in reading.

2. IMPROVE PRESENTATIONS
I use the Keynote app to create slide presentations. It enables me to fill my presentations with text, images, videos and surveys, while allowing me to control the speed and flow of the lesson as students interact with the material.

3. TURN IN ASSIGNMENTS
I use Dropbox, a free file sharing app, to post homework assignments. Students turn them in using the app and I then grade and return them all on Dropbox.

4. TAKE NOTES
I use apps like Notability or Penultimate, which enable me to take notes, record lectures and annotate PDFs.

5. SHARE CLASSES 
I use Keynote to share lessons with students on my blog. Students can access them whenever they need and can learn at the pace that suits them best.

6.  DECREASE EXPENSES
 iPad implementation and the BYOD policy have actually decreased costs for students, because they do not need to buy physical textbooks.

7.  DESIGN ONLINE MULTIMEDIA LESSONS AND PUBLISH THEM IN MY BLOG
Students can view videos explaining the material as many times as they need. 

8.  POLL STUDENTS
I can use the Socrative app to poll my students on what they know and don't know; this allows me to spend more time teaching the topics they struggle with.

9. NURTURE CREATIVITY WITH STORYTELLING PLATFORMS
Apps like Explain Everything can foster storytelling, creative collaboration and individual initiative. 

10. CONVERT TEXT INTO COMIC STRIPS
I let students use apps like Comic Strips to convert educational texts into engaging learning material.

11.  GO PAPERLESS
My classroom is now virtually paperless. Students do not have to  carry binders and textbooks any longer. I give them digital assignments



No comments: